Gap Year Australia Logo
history & culture
amazing facts
everyday info
destination guide

gap year costs
when to go
starter packs
travel insurance
festivals & events

on arrival
money and banks
money saving tips
keeping in touch
staying safe

about GYTG | contact our team  

Twin Work & Volunteer
Offer internship placements in Australia

more companies...
[+] Twin Work & Volunteer
Changing Worlds

Sales Managers

LOOKING FOR D2D SALES SUPERSTARS!!! Description - Very high earning capacity - Signing up new r...
Gap Year Australia :: visas


Unless you hold Australian residency/citizenship or you are from New Zealand, you will have to get a visa to enter Australia. There are two main types of visa alongside one other for those studying in Australia. Which one you choose will depend on how long you plan to stay and if you want to work.

:: Australian ETA Tourist Visa

The ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) Visa is an electronic visa which allows you to stay in Australia for up to three months. As it is electronic, you won’t have any paperwork and when you book your flight ticket, the travel agency can organise an ETA Visa for you, for the cost of around ten pounds. This visa does NOT allow you to work. If you wish to undertake paid work whilst travelling, you will need to apply for a Working Holiday Maker Visa.

:: Working Holiday Maker Visa

The WHM Visa allows people aged 18-30 from a variety of countries to work in Australia for up to 12 months. However, you are only allowed to work for the same employer for up to 6 months. This visa is a stamp in your passport and you will need to show your employer your passport as proof of being eligible to work. To find out more about this visa and how to apply, read our dedicated Working Holiday Visa Guide which can be found in the work and jobs section of the website.

Under certain circumstances, you may apply for a second working holiday visa. For information, please visit

:: Student Visa
If you wish to study at an educational institution or language school in Australia for longer than three months then you will need to obtain a Student Visa. You will have to meet certain requirements such as holding an offer of a place from the institution where you will study (Confirmation of Enrollment), funds to pay course fees and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). For more details on this student visas, visit

Please note: Visa requirements can vary depending on the country you are from. To be sure about which visa you need, please check out the requirements for your nationality by visiting the Australian immigration website.



    © Gap Year Travel Guide 2011