Gap Year Australia Logo

about GYTG | contact our team  

Twin Work & Volunteer
Offer internship placements in Australia

more companies...
[+] Agriventure
Twin Work & Volunteer
Changing Worlds

Office Administrator

YOUR TASKS: Coordinate office facilities, systems maintenance and perform various administrative...
Gap Year Australia :: What is a tax file number and how do I get one?

What is a tax file number and how do I get one?

If you plan to work down under, you’ll need to acquire a tax file number (TFN), as well as a working holiday visa. This is a code that you give to your employer when you get a job, identifying you as a tax payer. It is essential that you sort this as early as possible because it stops you from being taxed at the maximum rate, nearly 50%! To get a tax file number, you can either buy a ‘starter pack’ which has this included or you can organise it yourself by applying for one at an Australian Taxation Office. It’s free but you will need an address for them to post it to.

Other Questions...

Can I claim my tax back after I leave?
What’s the legal drinking age?
Should I buy or rent a car?
Where’s the best place to fly in to and fly out of?
Can I use my mobile phone over there?

view all questions >



    © Gap Year Travel Guide 2011